Monday, April 6, 2009

{namaste}

Almost eight years ago, I took a great trip to Nepal. And I'm now 'homesick' to go back. I love the people, the culture, and the slower pace of life. Busier streets, not so many cares. I am a country girl, but this city is beautiful to me.

I would love to spend an afternoon at Swayambhunath (the Monkey Temple) looking at the different shrines...


I personally love Ganesh, an elephant-headed God of Luck. I love in Kathmandu that the streets are lined with shrines, and always smell of insence.


I would love to eat a hot plate of Dal Bhat, which is basically rice with a lentil soup and potatoes. YUM!

What I miss the most are the prayer flags that hang everywhere,

and the suspension bridges you walk on from town to town on the trek from Jiri beyond.


And Namche Bazaar. I got sick while I was there and spent a week by myself while the rest of the gang went on to Everest Base Camp. I love that place.

I also love the great Mountain views. This is Everest and Nuptse, two really beautiful mountains.

I dream of going back, but with two little kids at home, I think I am years away. It's definately not Nick's ideal vacation... I actually think he'd rather stay home! I think for now, I'll buy myself a Nepali cook book and frame my map of Sagarmatha National Park and enjoy the wonderful things I have at home!

2 comments:

Paul and Aubrey Young said...

I understand how you feel more than you know. I lived in Ukraine for a year, and I really do love that place. I love the people the food, the city, the smells (even if they dont smell that good.) I was able to go back a vist a few years ago, but I will always just sit and think how I really could live there!
I find that cooking there found helps to bring that feeling into my home!

Justin, Beth and Owen said...

Wow, talk about bringing back the memories! We should have a "Nepal Memory Day" some time... ya know, make the food look at the pictures and tell stories. I wonder if we'd be able to get everyone together...we should try.